THE FELLOWSHIP PROGRAMME SUPPORTS ONE HIGHLY TALENTED YOUNG SCIENTIST WHO HAS BEEN TRAINED IN THE UK OR IN THE USA AND WISHES TO START OR CONTINUE HIS/HER POSTDOCTORAL TRAINING AT ONE OF THE WORLD’S LEADING COMPREHENSIVE CANCER CENTRES.
Purpose of the Fellowship Programme
- To provide young scientists with cutting-edge cancer research training in an
interdisciplinary and internationally competitive environment.
- To foster scientific collaborations between cancer researchers in UK/USA and Spain.
Deadline & Duration
- The deadline for applications is September 30, 2016.
- The fellowship is awarded for a period of 2 years.
- Fellowship starts before the end of May, 2017.
Applicants must meet the following eligibility criteria:
- Enrolment in a predoctoral and/or postdoctoral training programme in a recognized research centre in the UK or in the USA for a minimum of 24 months over the past 3 years (from October 1, 2013 to September 30, 2016).
- Hold a PhD or MD degree; degree completion must have occurred after the first of January of 2009. Candidates who are expected to obtain their degree before September 30, 2016 are eligible provided that their thesis supervisor accredits this circumstance in his/her letter of reference. In the case that the candidate were awarded a fellowship but did not obtain the PhD or MD degree before the date mentioned above, his/her position would be offered to the next candidate on the waiting list.
- At least one first author publication either published or accepted before the application deadline in a relevant international peer-reviewed journal in the Medicine & Life Sciences field.
- Two letters of reference; one of them has to be provided by the thesis supervisor.
- One letter of commitment from one of the CNIO group leaders (applicant’s mentor at the CNIO). This letter must indicate the resources available to co-fund the postdoctoral position. For information regarding our research activities, please go to the CNIO’s Annual Report 2015 website: http://www.cnio.es/ing/sr/
- Completeness of the application. The applicant is responsible for the veracity, accuracy and completeness of the data provided in the online application form. Incompleteness and/or inaccuracies in the application will result in the ineligibility of the candidate.
- Receipt of the application before the deadline.
If you have any queries about your eligibility to apply, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
After the submission deadline scientific evaluation officers at CNIO’s Scientific Management Department will assess eligibility of the submitted applications.
An Evaluation Panel, formed by experienced CNIO senior scientists, will review eligible proposals. The selection will be based on the candidate’s CV according to the number and relevance of publications, fellowships obtained under competitive calls, participation in international meetings, reference letters and other merits (teaching, patents, mobility, etc.).
- The selected candidate will be offered the fellowship and invited to accept the position within 1 week after being notified. The candidate will be expected to start the fellowship no later than the end of May, 2017.
- Selected candidate will be employed by the CNIO through a working contract in accordance to Spanish laws and regulations, and will be entitled to all benefits available to regular CNIO employees. Accordingly, contracts fully cover social security, including sickness and parental benefits, pension rights and unemployment benefits.
- Banco Santander Foundation – CNIO fellows will receive a gross annual salary of 30,400 to 34,200 Euros, which corresponds to a monthly net income of approximately 1,850 to 2,050 Euros. The salary will depend on the applicant’s previous experience at the time of the application.
- During the duration of their contract, the postdoctoral scientist must work full time at the CNIO and may not be the beneficiary of any other fellowship, grant, stipend or other regular income.
- The contract does not imply any obligation on the part of the CNIO regarding further employment. This does not exclude that, after expiry of the two-year contract, the postdoctoral scientist may continue working at the CNIO provided that additional funding from other sources can be secured.
- At the end of the 1st and 2nd years of their contract, fellows are required to prepare a report that summarizes their activities and scientific achievements.
- The fellow’s performance will be periodically monitored through review meetings with their mentor at the CNIO.
The candidate has to contact his/her chosen group and ask the PI for a letter indicating her/his commitment and availability to co-fund the postdoctoral position.
Incomplete applications will not be considered. Only one application per candidate will be accepted. If more than one application is received from the same candidate, only the last one will be considered as valid.
The online application may be found here https://www.cnio.es/ing/cursos/programapostdoctorado-form-uk.asp